Velocity Meter Deployments
Mounts for index velocity meters should meet the following criteria:
- It should position transducer beams free and clear of the of the mount and streambank/streambed
- Ideally, it should provide for easy adjustments for pitch, roll, and depth
- There should be some built-in safety mechanism (rope/cable tied to shore or to the bed)
- Where necessary, design mount to protect against vandalism
- Non-ferrous material is recommended
- Accurate repositioning
Example deployments available on this page:
Speed Rail is aluminum structural pipe fittings and a popular material in which to construct index-velocity meter mounts. It can be ordered direct or from a local supplier http://www.hollaender.com/.
The following are illustrations and descriptions of actual mounts used at index-velocity stations.
Florida Bay USGS Gage and Mounts
Miami, Florida USGS Mount
Tampa, Florida USGS Mount
Indiana Bridge Pier Mount