Rapid Index Velocity Rating and Synchronization (RIVRS)
The RIVRS Field Application was developed by Travis Knight (Caribbean-Florida WSC) and Marian Domanski (Central Midwest WSC), with funding and guidance from the Observing Systems Division (OSD), Hydrologic Networks Branch. The application was developed to improve the workflow and efficiency of synchronizing water velocity, gage height, and streamflow measurement data collected at index velocity stations to allow for rating verification from the field.
The application has the following features:
- Aids in the grouping of transects from discharge measurements at index velocity streamgages;
- Interfaces with QRev software to process groupings of discharge measurements;
- Synchronizes gage height and velocity data from a variety of dataloggers and instruments with discharge measurements;
- Compares measured and rated discharge;
- Provides immediate feedback on whether rating shifts are indicated or check measurements should be completed based on SW Technical Memorandum 2017.03; and
- Interfaces with SVMAQ to document field notes during site visits.
WMA Technical Note 75: Announces the release of RIVRS.
RIVRS can be used on desktops, laptops, and tablets running 64-bit versions of the Windows operating system. RIVRS is written in Python and packaged with the current version of QRev using the Pyinstaller library. The .xml file output from RIVRS can be read by SVMAQ version 2.3.165 or later.
The RIVRS application and the accompanying folder structure can be downloaded as a .zip file from the RIVRS repository. To navigate to the RIVRS repository click on the version number in the table below.
Changes and Known Issues
|Recommended||-Packaged with QRev 4.23
-Fixes partial loading of previously saved RIVRS files
-Fixes delayed update of stage and velocity thresholds
|Allowed||-Packaged with QRev 4.23
-Fixes SL3 ranged average import
-Added code to view each cell of the multicell data on the multicell plot
-Fixed xlsx summary file export for loading to IV_Rating
-Added code to export plots when saving
-Added support for Flowtracker1 and 2 import
-Added support for RDI and Sontek ADCP midsection import
-Changed code to allow non continuous cells to be chosen for index
-Added code to link time series plots to transect grouping and measurement tables
-Fixed crash caused by FV file containing empty field visits
-Allows import of mat files from IQ version 3.0
-Adds ability to specify location of RIVRS working directory
|Allowed||-Initial python release.
-Packaged with QRev 4.16
Software/Firmware Status Definitions
Required Minimum: Minimum version required. This version has proven stable and may contain enhancements that are significant over previous required versions
Recommended: Shown to have been reliable and contains features that result in a recommended upgrade over the required version. There could be a few specific use cases where this version may have issues that would result in some users not using this version. If so, those cases will be noted.
Allowed*: Deemed reliable during initial testing. Any issues will be noted along with improvements available over prior versions. Use of allowed versions may be desired in cases when the changes benefit a significant number of the user's conditions or equipment. For example: a new version of software is released that adds support for new hardware. If the user has this hardware, they would need to upgrade to the newer software before it becomes recommended or required. Use of these versions by experienced users will also help OSW identify any unknown issues.
Testing*: OSW is currently testing; any known issues or advantages over prior release will be noted. The use of a version that is in testing should usually be limited to advanced users that can trouble shoot potential issues and provide feedback on any irregularities or problems observed.
Do Not Use: A version either prior to the required minimum or that contains issues that significantly affect operations.
*Note: A version may remain in Allowed or Testing indefinitely. Example: A new version is released while the prior version is still in Testing. In this case the prior version may remain in Testing, while future testing efforts are placed on the newer version.
- Click on the appropriate link in the "Download" table above to download a .zip file containing the latest version of RIVRS. The zip file contains 7 folders (subdirectories), Export_Rating_1.1, and an executable (Update_RIVRS.exe) used to pull the current rating information from Aquarius.
- Select or create a folder anywhere on your computer and unzip the downloaded file into that folder.
- Do not change the structure or naming of any files or subdirectories.
- Read the User's Manual before using the tools for instructions on initial setup.
- The RIVRS application can be run by double clicking the RIVRS.exe file located in the app directory.
Please submit any questions or support requests to the developers of the RIVRS Field Application by reporting a "New Issue" here.