DescriptionThe Index Velocity Rating Development Spreadsheet Template, IV_Rating, is a Microsoft Excel-based spreadsheet tool developed by Philip Habermehl (SAWSC) and Molly Wood (OSW) through support from OSW.
IV_Rating allows the user to perform the following tasks:
1. Organize discharge measurements used to develop and validate index velocity ratings
2. Create rating plots and documentation in compliance with OSW Technical Memorandum 2015.05.
3. Perform regression analysis and related computations to develop simple linear, compound linear, and multi-linear index-velocity ratings
4. Plot ratings, rating prediction intervals, and validation measurements for evaluating rating departures and shifts in compliance with OSW Technical Memorandum 2017.03.
5. Easily load measurement files synced within the IV_SYNC tool to add to a running list of measurements made at an index-velocity gage.
USGS Software Users Rights Notice
The IV_Rating tool (.xlsm file) can be downloaded by clicking on the version number in the table below.
Changes and Known Issues
March 15, 2018
||- Minor bug fixes for plots|
Sept 19, 2017
||-added additional information on creating file for area rating
- fixed a broken link
Sept 9. 2017
(versions prior to 6.0 were considered in beta testing and were distributed during index velocity training and on an ad-hoc basis)
Software/Firmware Status Definitions
Required Minimum: Minimum version required. This version has proven stable and may contain enhancements that are significant over previous required versions
Recommended: Shown to have been reliable and contains features that result in a recommended upgrade over the required version. There could be a few specific use cases where this version may have issues that would result in some users not using this version. If so, those cases will be noted.
Allowed*: Deemed reliable during initial testing. Any issues will be noted along with improvements available over prior versions. Use of allowed versions may be desired in cases when the changes benefit a significant number of the user's conditions or equipment. For example: a new version of software is released that adds support for new hardware. If the user has this hardware, they would need to upgrade to the newer software before it becomes recommended or required. Use of these versions by experienced users will also help OSW identify any unknown issues.
Testing*: OSW is currently testing; any known issues or advantages over prior release will be noted. The use of a version that is in testing should usually be limited to advanced users that can trouble shoot potential issues and provide feedback on any irregularities or problems observed.
Do Not Use: A version either prior to the required minimum or that contains issues that significantly affect operations.
*Note: A version may remain in Allowed or Testing indefinitely. Example: A new version is released while the prior version is still in Testing. In this case the prior version may remain in Testing, while future testing efforts are placed on the newer version.
1. Ensure that you have Microsoft Excel version 2013 or later installed
on your computer
2. Download the rating template to anywhere on your computer (no installation needed)
3. Make a copy of the template and name with the rating number and station number in the fields indicated in the file name (e.g., IV_Rating_Rating#_Station#.xlsm)
4. Upon opening, you may be prompted to Enable Content or Macros. Enable all to be able to use the spreadsheet features.
5. Follow directions in the Title Page to begin populating the template with measurements and developing ratings for your site(s). Each site should have a separate rating spreadsheet template. Store template according to your office's data management and archival plan.
In order to receive support for IV_Rating and to efficiently communicate with other tool users, you are encouraged to register for the OSW Hydroacoustic Forum. In the Forum, you will find a "IV_Rating" board under "Index-Velocity and Other Fixed Deployments". Please report all bugs, suggested enhancements, and questions on this board. You must be a registered user of the Hydroacoustic Forum to access the board.
Register for access to OSW Hydroacoustics Forums
OSW Hydroacoustics Forums for Registered Users