These pages provide information on hydroacoustic technology for users in the USGS and other agencies. Since the early 1980s the USGS has
worked cooperatively with manufacturers to develop and enhance the use of acoustic Doppler instruments for streamflow and other hydraulic
measurements. The Office of Surface Water maintains these web pages to provide updated information on hydroacoustics instruments and their use within the USGS and elsewhere.
Revised Moving Boat ADCP Discharge Measurement T&M Released!
HaWG Wins Excellence in Leadership Award
Recent Podcasts and Recorded Webinars
- USGS HydroTube Training on SWAMI (Youtube) - NEW!
- Measurement Issues You May Be Overlooking (Podcast) - NEW!
- Using ADCPs for Open Water Mid-Section Measurements (Podcast) - NEW!
- ADCP Communication Options (Podcast)
- Review and Rating of Moving-Boat ADCP Q Measurements (Webinar)
- Extrap Version 3.x Training (Podcast)
Submit Hydroacoustic Comparison Measurements (USGS login required)
Featured Topic: Velocity Mapping Toolbox
The Velocity Mapping Toolbox, a new tool for visualization of velocity fields, is available
- An OSW Note (2013.14) dated January 25, 2013, announced the availability of VMT within the USGS.
- A paper describing VMT, Velocity Mapping Toolbox (VMT): a processing and visualization suite for moving-vessel ADCP measurements, [4.7 Mb download] by Parsons et al. has been accepted for publication by the Earth Surface Processes and Landforms journal.
- Download VMT software. See the VMT pages for more info on downloading and using VMT.
Selected topics from the Hydroacoustics Community Forum.Remote Desktop in the field with portable devices...
Using a Depth Sounder with WinRiver II
Serial to USB adapters
Best Practices for Collecting Mid-section Discharge Measurements with ADCPs
New Index Velocity Inspection and Installation Forms
NOTE: You must me a registered member to view the posts. Register now and join the discussion. Detailed instructions on registering can be found at http://hydroacoustics.usgs.gov/software/Forum_Reg1.html.