These pages provide information on hydroacoustic technology for users in the USGS and other agencies. Since the early 1980s the USGS has worked cooperatively with manufacturers to develop and enhance the use of acoustic Doppler instruments for streamflow and other hydraulic measurements. The Office of Surface Water maintains these web pages to provide updated information on hydroacoustics instruments and their use within the USGS and elsewhere.
Updated! Standard Procedures for Measuring Discharge Under Ice using ADCPs - Version 2The Water Survey of Canada has released version 2 of their report documenting standard procedures for measuring flow under ice. This report was prepared in collaboration with the USGS and others.
Revised Moving Boat ADCP Discharge Measurement T&M Released!
HaWG Wins Excellence in Leadership Award
Recent Podcasts and Recorded Webinars
- Minimum Requirements for Documenting Stage-Area & Index-Velocity Ratings - NEW!
- RiverSurveyor M9/S5 Compass Upgrade and New Features - NEW!
- What's New in Hydroacoustics - NEW!
- USGS HydroTube Training on SWAMI (Youtube)
- Measurement Issues You May Be Overlooking (Podcast)
- Using ADCPs for Open Water Mid-Section Measurements (Podcast)
Submit Hydroacoustic Comparison Measurements (USGS login required)
Featured Topic: Velocity Mapping Toolbox
The Velocity Mapping Toolbox, a new tool for visualization of velocity fields, is available
- An OSW Note (2013.14) dated January 25, 2013, announced the availability of VMT within the USGS.
- A paper describing VMT, Velocity Mapping Toolbox (VMT): a processing and visualization suite for moving-vessel ADCP measurements, [4.7 Mb download] by Parsons et al. was published in the Earth Surface Processes and Landforms journal.
- Download VMT software. See the VMT pages for more info on downloading and using VMT.
Selected topics from the Hydroacoustics Community Forum.Remote Desktop in the field with portable devices...
Using a Depth Sounder with WinRiver II
Serial to USB adapters
Best Practices for Collecting Mid-section Discharge Measurements with ADCPs
New Index Velocity Inspection and Installation Forms
NOTE: You must me a registered member to view the posts. Register now and join the discussion. Detailed instructions on registering can be found at http://hydroacoustics.usgs.gov/software/Forum_Reg1.html.